Thursday, March 22, 2012

Food shopping budget fun!


Today is Wednesday so that means its food shopping day! That's one of the biggest adjustments, believe it or not, that I've had to make upon moving to NC.  Back in New York, Sunday was our shopping day since that's when the sale started, but down here its Wednesday..not quite sure why but if anyone knows, please fill me in!  So I like to set a $60 budget for my weekly shopping and I've gotten really good at coming within a few bucks of it unless we're having company then I might go over a little bit, or, if it's like last week. 

Last Monday I had gone to visit Amanda and usually when I'm there I hit up BJ's since she has a membership.  So I ended up spending $70 on stuff I needed, clearly $70 over my weekly shopping budget since I didn't really buy any food for the week.  Luckily, my fridge and pantry were still pretty well stocked that I decided to not go on my normal weekly food shopping run. The problem was that I was still $10 over my budget for the week. Usually when this happens, I'm like "Ehh, it's only $10" but $10 this week, $10 next week and so on adds up.

I decided to cut my budget this week to $50, still do able even though my stock was a bit low.  To make things even more interesting, I decided to bake cookies on Monday night and guess what? Half way through I realized I didn't have chocolate chips! So I ran to Food Lion and exactly $10 and 15 minutes later I left with two packs of strawberries, bananas and chocolate chips. Okay, so now my budget is down to $40..how will I ever pull this off? Long story short, I spent $19 at Walmart on groceries, and $24 at Food Lion, $3 over? I think that's pretty damn good!

On to the pics!













Here's a blurry pic of my wonderful fruit display! I think a pineapple just makes everything look a lot nicer, don't you agree?





















And my pantry, which is a work in progress, but it's getting there...one shelf at a time!

I worked on the first shelf today, I hit up Dollar Tree and bought these food containers even though I have more than enough Rubbermaid to last me forever.  When the dollar store ones get destroyed though, I won't feel too bad because they aren't part of my set and they were only $1!

The peanuts on the top shelf are in the dollar store container, and behind them is a larger container with pretzels and fruit snacks. Even though I could have left all the stuff that's on the first shelf in their original packaging, I feel like it looks more organized this way..and Mike was impressed by it!













My freezer got a little bit of an organized make over too, the bins on the bottom shelf are veggies on the left and seafood on the right. Now I just need to label them!


And the random piece of decor that I put up today was this cute printable I found online, I slapped it in a dollar store frame and BAM! Cheap, and cute, just the way I like my decor!


 Alright, that's it for tonight, I hope I'm as motivated tomorrow as I was today! Good night!

<3  J

0 comments:

Post a Comment